Saturday, November 24, 2007

Blah Friday

Probably the only thing more American than being super excited for Black Friday is being super unexcited for Black Friday. But, whatever. This won't be a post about anti-consumerism or Buy Nothing Day, or even a promotion for the new Morgan Spurlock documentary, What Would Jesus Buy? I happen to fall into the second category for no better reason than feeling generally ho-hum about most of the items hyped up for sale (cameras, GPS systems, and kitchen blenders seemed to be the theme of this Black Friday).

If anything, the fuss just makes you feel stupid for not taking 'your slice' of the sale pie. During our Thanksgiving potluck, I tried getting excited by ruffling through the stacks of Black Friday ads with everyone else. First, I tried to convince myself that I needed a new camera. Then I tried to imagine how cool it would be to have a GPS navigational system in my car. I also felt obligated to check out the shoe section in every single ad; I've been looking for a nice pair of boots that won't make me look ridiculous while walking past palm trees in 60 degree weather, and it'd be irresponsible to not at least look for a sale, right?

But, really peoples. Shopping requires inspiration. Good shopping can never be forced, and a sale isn't a reason to buy. Most people come home with a bunch of stuff they don't need if they choose to rush into the mish mosh without a clear, premeditated goal in the first place. Half of the people I talk to end up returning the majority of the things they buy, and the other half end up standing in hour-long lines for a pair of gloves -- yay.

As for me -- I felt awesome waking up at 1 pm on Friday morning, and lounging around all day in my pj's, doing research and watching old episodes of Scrubs. However, just when I thought another Black Friday had come and gone, I went onto Amazon.com for the sole purpose of browsing some possible DVD titles to rent for the night. Which is when I came across this:

What in the WHAT?? The best, emmy-winning season of the greatest show ever on 4 dvds for only fifteen dollars?!?!

So, this was supposed to be a post about how unnecessary and futile Black Friday is. But now, all I can say is... if you want to watch Season 2 of The Office, come over to my place.

No comments: