- My new roommates watch Project Runway. Needless to say, we are all getting along fabulously. Two of them work; the other is a fellow CSE grad student from UW.
- To my surprise, I've already found a church here that I am quite fond of and beginning to call home. It is ironic as I was never able to do that for all the years that I was in Seattle (despite my adoration for Pastor Earl Palmer and regular attendance at UPC).
- The ocean meets the sky to create infinite shades of blue. It is beautiful and completely mind-blowing and looks exactly like in the movies, except I have swallowed much more sea water than I would have liked. The weather is always mild, sunny, and breezy, and the palm trees seem to whisper... "quit grad school. go to the beach." It is a sin to wear closed-toe shoes.
- The UCSD campus is home to about 25,000 students, seemingly 90% of which are asian -- and very fashionable AZNs, might I add. The campus is not nearly as beautiful as UW's, but I guess the extra sunshine makes up for it.
- The CSE building is brand new, equipped with all the latest technologies (including the famous biometric vending machine), and looks fairly normal from the outside. But don't be fooled: the interior looks like a case of "the sterile hospital" meets "tween-Disney." I'm talking dirty-white hospital-like tile floors with bright orange and turoquise walls, and purple couches sitting on random patches of dark green carpet. And lots of awkward empty space. Whatever happened to elegance and class? UW South (as UCSD is commonly called in CS lingo) still has a lot to learn from Hank Levy.
- Did I mention that there's a completely hideous, 23-foot, stone BEAR that sits on the lawn in front of the CSE building?
- The boyfriend came to visit this weekend (yes, already! as the model boyfriend should). We went to the beach and ate tortillas, like true San Diegans.
- Though Seattle always gets dogged for its weather, it has much more character than La Jolla. La Jolla is the boring, rich kid who always dresses nicely. Seattle is the kid that your parents don't want you hanging around...
- I miss the Ave dearly -- all of the coffee shops and cheap exotic food places; even the weird eccentric people that roam from day to night. I also miss the quad, the red-brick, gothic-styled buildings... the cherry blossoms, and being able to wake up 15 minutes before class and booking it down to Mary Gates Hall. I'm living in "paradise", but Seattle is still home.
Thursday, October 05, 2006
The Undisciplined Blogger
Of course, right after I finish preaching about the importance of journaling and reflection, I plunge into the depths of grad-school-busyness and am never to be seen again....
Well, hopefully that's not entirely true. So, now that I have survived my first set of problem sets, here is the mandatory "Settling into San Diego" post -- also known as the "What's Been Happening" post or the "Mundane Details of My Life" post. Hm. Perhaps bullet points will make this seem less forced:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Diane,
I totally understand what you are talking about--Seattle, La Jolla, UPC, Earl Palmer, the Ave, everything. You make me feel nostalgic...
Hoang
Post a Comment